The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is a comprehensive statutory framework that sets the standard for the learning, development and care of children from birth to five.
Within the EYFS there are seven areas of learning. The staff plan for these seven areas in order to help your child achieve their full potential.
Birkbees takes an individual approach to planning and believes strongly that children learn best when they are learning through play in a secure, warm and stimulating environment.
The seven areas are:-
– Communication and Language Development involves giving children opportunities to experience a rich language environment, to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
– Physical Development involves providing opportunities for young children to be active and interactive: and to develop their co-ordination, control and movement. Children must also be helped to understand the important of physical activity, and to make healthy choices in relation to food.
– Personal, Social and Emotional Development involves helping children to develop a positive sense of themselves and others, to develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings; to understand appropriate behavior in groups; and to have confidence in their own abilities.
– Literacy Development involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write. Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials such as books, poems and other written materials to ignite their interest.
– Mathematics involves providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, calculating simple addition and subtraction problems, and to describe shapes, spaces and measures.
– Understanding the World involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
– Expressive arts and design involves enabling children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials, as well as providing opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities such as art, music, movement dance, role-play and design and technology.
Here you will find some really useful information on your child’s learning and development in the Early Years Foundation Stage. Know what to expect during these vitally important years by focusing on the seven areas of learning and development which are covered in the EYFS.